HRB Site #515 - 1929 Edward C. Mann House
The house was built for Dr. Edward C. and Mrs. Betty Avery Mann, and its historical significance is attributed to both the exemplary architecture as well as the association with Dr. Mann. In 1901, Dr. Mann was attending the Pan-American Exposition in Buffalo, New York when an assassin shot President William McKinley, who was also attending the event. Dr. Mann was one of the first physicians called to attend to the President. Dr. Edward Mann administered morphine to the President, while his father, Dr. Matthew D. Mann performed surgery in an attempt to remove the bullets. Congress awarded Dr. Mann a gold watch for his role in attempting to save the President's life.
This year, event headquarters was located at the historic 1910 Duehn-St. John Residence at 4720 Kensington Drive. This beautiful Craftsman house, now the home of the Fraternal Spiritualist Church, is the oldest and the first house in Kensington to be historically designated.
The ticket price included admittance to all six tour homes, lectures and a souvenir booklet. This year's lecture featured Ron May speaking on "The Changing Face of Adams Avenue."
The houses that were open for the tour this year are:
- The Edward C. Mann House - 1929
- The A.L. and Cleveland Dennstedt House - 1941
- 5301 Marlborough Drive - 1933
- The Wonder House of Stone - 1926
- The Florence E. Mead House - 1931
- The Dr. James and Leona Parker House - 1923